Autumn Safety for Your Pet

Autumn Safety

Strange as it may sound, fall can be one of the most dangerous times of year for domestic pets. While the worries regarding dehydration and overheating fade with the summer sun, there are a number of hazards that your furry friend may potentially encounter during the cooler months of the year.

In an effort to ensure your pet is as safe as possible through the fall months, below, we’ve put together a simple guide to the pet health hazards all owners need to be aware of at this time of year.

Mushrooms

Mushrooms thrive in the fall months but, unfortunately, cats and dogs cannot tell the harmless from the harmful. If you spot any mushrooms growing in your yard, remove them immediately, and remain vigilant when walking your dog in woodland areas.

Rat and mice poison

As detailed in this post, rodents tend to be more noticeable to humans during fall, often attempting to enter properties in an effort to find warmth. For fall safety indoors, many pet owners will place rat and mice poison in areas where these critters are suspected, but this can be highly toxic to your pets. If you have a rodent problem, you could try traps instead; alternatively, if you use poison, ensure your pet is kept away from the area at all times.

Antifreeze

Any guide to managing your car’s maintenance will tell you that this is the time of year to change your car’s coolant or washer fluid to a variety that provides antifreeze benefits. This is a great idea for car maintenance, but the chemicals found in antifreeze are highly toxic to pets. To prevent any mishaps, change antifreeze outside of your own garage or parking space, so there’s no risk of leaks that your pet may then walk on and lick from their paws. When it comes to storing the antifreeze itself, ensure the container is securely fastened and kept at height, far away from any areas your pets are able to access.

What should you do if you suspect your pet has ingested a poison?

Even with the best will in the world, there is a chance that your pet may ingest a poison: your cat may nibble on a rodent that has ingested poison, or your dog discovers a patch of mushrooms and tucks in before you have the chance to stop them. As a result, it’s useful to know the signs of toxin ingestion:

  • Excessive salivation or lip licking
  • Subdued behavior 
  • Panting
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea 

If you notice any of these symptoms, or have reason to believe that your pet has consumed a toxic substance, then contact 1-800-924-0588 as soon as possible for further advice.

In conclusion

Fall is a wonderful season, but it can undoubtedly pose a number of hazards to pets. To address these issues, keep the above tips in mind, and be prepared to take swift action should you suspect your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t have. With these precautions in place, you and your furry friend should be able to enjoy the season - and all the cuddles in front of the fire that it provides!

Photo Credit: stockphotog / iStock / Getty Images Plus

Tags: Autumn Safety

Print Email